The day to day, comical happenings and sweet moments from my life as a nanny.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Temptation

      One of my very favorite things about what I do is that I am constantly being reminded of simple concepts and learning spiritual lessons through the innocence of children. Most of the time it's very humbling and I kick myself for needing such reminders.

One such incident happened the other day...

     As usual we were rushing to get out the door, it was late in the afternoon and as we started driving I realized just how late in the afternoon it really was....and the nanny guilt hit...I had yet to feed them lunch...fail.   So I did what any sane nanny would do and headed towards the golden arches to fill their tummies with some healthy fast food.

      As I was trying to drive and direct food to the back of the mini van one of the girls kept asking me to open her toy for her and I kept trying to explain to her that "Miss Kelsey is trying to drive and it would be dangerous to reach back and try to get the toy and then try to get all the ridiculous packaging off the little plastic toy ( I may have said it nicer than that)". After that explanation didn't work I told her that she had to eat all her food first before she could have her toy and that when we got to where we were heading we would open it. Looking in the rear view mirror at her sweet face, she asked me to take it and hold it for her and I again responded that she could hold onto it.
Then.... with the most innocent, sweet, look.... she says, "But Miss Kelsey, I might open it and I'm not supposed to open it, so I really need you to hold it for me." to which, without even thinking I said, "Well that would be disobeying, so you need to hold onto it, eat your food and wait patiently."

    Dang.

That's when 1 Corinthians 10:13 came to mind (well not actually the reference but the verse...I'm horrible at references).
  
 "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."


God will always show you a way out of temptation. 


We are supposed to run from temptation.    

 Ouch.    

   Here was a 5 yr old, fully aware that she would be tempted to open her toy and that it would lead to disobedience. She saw a way out and instead of allowing that out, I thought I would teach her a lesson in patience.

 God used what I thought was going to be a teaching moment for a child and instead used a child as a teaching moment for me.

I am daily reminded that our eyes must be opened to seeing God in every moment and every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment